James A. Brown, Esq.
Arbitrator and Mediator
Member, National Academy of Arbitrators
James A. Brown is a full-time arbitrator and mediator.
He has been engaged in labor relations for thirty-five years, and began
his career advocating on behalf of labor unions and management interests
in both the public and private sectors.
His arbitration practice includes both labor and employment law cases.
He has also mediated many employment-related claims involving overtime, minimum wage, hostile work environments, reasonable accommodations based on religion and disability, race discrimination and retail assignments, retaliation, constructive discharge, sexual assault, and lost promotions.
He has spoken before various bar associations on matters related to labor and employment law, including arbitration and wage and hour mediation.
He has also contributed columns to the New York Law Journal, including most recently "Preparing for a Wage and Hour Mediation," 03/11/22 (see below), and has taught CLE courses on labor and employment law.
Labor Arbitration Panels:
* American Arbitration Association, Labor Arbitration Panel
* Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service
* National Mediation Board
* New York Public Employment Relations Board
* New Jersey Public Employment Relations Commission
* New Jersey PERC Special Disciplinary Arbitration Panel
* New Jersey State Board of Mediation
* Pennsylvania Bureau of Mediation
* New York City Office of Collective Bargaining
* New York State 3020-a
* CUNY White, Blue Collar Panels
* Northwell Health-NYSNA
* Northwell Health - UFT (Staten Island University Hospital-South)
* District Council 37 - NYC School Construction Authority
* District Council 37 - Wildlife Conservation Society
* District Council 37 - Museum of Jewish Heritage
Employment Law Panels:
* American Arbitration Association
-- Employment Panel
-- Employee Benefits Panel
* ADR Systems (Chicago, IL)
* American Arbitration Association Mediation Panel
* S.D.N.Y. Mediation Panel
* E.D.N.Y. Wage and Hour Mediation Panel
* Resolute Systems, LLC
Also: Private Mediation Services Available upon Request
Fact-Finding & Interest Arbitration:
* New York PERB Mediation and Fact-Finding
* Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board
* NYC COIB Financial Disclosure Appeals (OCB)
* NYC OATH Contract Dispute Resolution Board
Recent Speaking Engagements:
Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service "Evidence and Proof: What it Takes" (May 2021)
National Academy of Arbitrators, Region 2 "Alternative Dispute
Resolution in Wage and Hour Cases" (May 2019)
New York County Lawyers Association "Wage and Hour Mediations: What to Know in an Expanding Area of Law" (April 2019);
New York State Bar Association "Motion Practice in Arbitration: A Bridge Too Far or a Welcome Development?" (January 2018);
New York State Bar Association "Labor Arbitration - An Overdue Look at Some Controversial Issues" (September 2016);
New York State Bar Association "Labor Arbitrator Roundtable: Best & Worst Practices for Labor Arbitration" (October 2013);
New York City Bar Association "New Labor Arbitrator Panel" (June 2013).
Recent Articles & Written Submissions:
Contact: P.O. Box 24611, Brooklyn, N.Y. 11202. (718) 578-2900.
For Printer-Friendly, PDF Version of Resume (Click Here)